Friday, March 30, 2012

Pilgrimage to Ghana - Day 1 The flight from Dayton to DC left a little early and it was very smooth. I boarded the plane for Ghana at about 10:30 PM. It seemed to take forever for all the people on the full 767 to get bags stowed and get seated. After leaving the gate a little late, the captain assured us of an early arrival at Accra. As I was sitting right over the right wing, I noticed the usual testing of the flaps as I heard the hydraulics working right beneath me as we taxied toward the runway. But then we stopped right at the beginning of the runway and the testing of the flaps continued over and over. Eventually the captain told us of a flap indicator issue. We taxied back to the gate where the mechanics could better look at it. Every half hour they gave us an encouraging update. Finally at about 2:20 AM, we were told that the flight would not happen until 8 PM. Over 100 Ghanaians sighed in disappointment. Some were very angry. I waited in line for about an hour to get my vouchers for taxi, hotel and food. All the while there was much commotion among the Ghanaians eager to go home. I finally checked into the Hilton near Dulles airport at 4 AM. Not only was my big bag with all my clothes checked under the plane, but they also "gate checked" my carry-on. So, I had to ask for toothbrush, etc. at the hotel. All I have is a Roman Missal, head phones, camera, iPad and breviary. What else does a traveling priest need?

No comments:

Post a Comment