Friday, October 15, 2021

Adiós to Spanish Class

 I'm looking forward to my final exam in Spanish class next Wednesday. Even though I've been studying Spanish off and on since I was 11 years old, the class has reminded me it would be lifelong process to master the language. However, in the course of this exercise in humility, some people have told me my skills have improved. 

I took a selfie in class while sporting the Silverhawks mask. Next to me is Cielo (her Spanish name) from Tokyo, continuing Nascar style (counter-clockwise) around the room are Nao from Yokohama, Japan; and a guy from Russia who transferred in late and may have dropped the class since I took the selfie. At the far right is Camille from Bordeaux, France. Out of the shot next to her would be Mona from Belgium and Lena from Germany. Continuing around in the front row are Zoli from Hungary, then Adela, our teacher from Mexico. I find it very interesting that most of the Spanish professors I have met are from Latin American countries. I have not asked why but it may be because the Latin American pronunciation is a little more simplified and more common around the world. Behind the teacher, we cannot see Kendra from Angola. The teacher is speaking to Sophia from the Philippines. Finishing up the circle are Shakri from Iran, Nikita from Ukraine, and Anze from Slovenia. God bless them for tolerating the old, bald American priest for the past six weeks!

3 comments:

  1. I am enjoying your journey and posts. My deceased husband was from Spain and I have traveled throughout the country. Your photos bring back happy memories.
    Sandra Kluesener

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful international experience, so much like the apostle's journey to areas around the globe. I send my rosary every day for your intentions.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I’m so proud of you!!! You’re an inspiration!!!!

    ReplyDelete